My husband just called me to inform that he has filed a no fault divorce in NY. There is a pre-nuptial agreement that i want to

enforce before the divorce can be finalized. Can anyone please tell me urgently and accurately what the whole process is and what are my rights here in this kid of divorce? I am in dire need of accurate legal advice. Also there was an order of protection filed a year ago for abuse. Can the same case be reopened or a new order of protection be requested from court?

East Meadow, NY -

Attorney Answers (4)

Scott Evan Gross

Scott Evan Gross

Criminal Defense Attorney - Ronkonkoma, NY

If neither side contests the validity of the pre-nup then the case will be very easy and move quickly. However. If on party is contesting the validity of the agreement you will run into problems. Regardless, you will need an attorney.

Scott Gross
666 Old country road
Garden city

This is not a solicitation nor is it legal advice. An attorney/client relationship has not been established.... more
Howard E. Knispel

Howard E. Knispel

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Commack, NY

A party can not file for an uncontested divorce without the other side agreeing. However if you have a pre-nup likely it will be part of the divorce and incorporated into it. You should have an attorney review everything.
Howard E. Knispel, P.C.
Commack, NY

The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before... more
Howard A. Schwartz

Howard A. Schwartz

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

As has already been stayed the pre-nip will certainly be considered as part of the divorce settlement. You should answer the complaint at this point to be recognized and be part of the process. If grounds are available an order if protection can be extended or replaced upon a showing to the court. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094... more
Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Pacific Grove, CA

I can not speak for New York law, but many years ago during a highly publicized investigation, a news magazine had a picture of the lead investigator on the cover with the caption "Put Up or Shut Up!" What I mean by this references is that it is one thing for your husband to say something, its another to see the actual papers and have them reviewed by an attorney as to what they mean and given your prenuptial agreement, what your options are. Moral of the story, don't take his word to mean much, get an attorney and do not let him needle you.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.