My husband isn't paying me the full amount he is bound to? Can I sue him for it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boiling Springs, PA

My husband and I have been going through the divorce process for the past 5 month. He was paying me $1,182 every month per his BAH. I just recently found out his BAH is $1,819 a month. In the divorce papers, he stated he would give me the full BAH every month. Now, he refuses to answer any emails I send to him. Can I sue him for the back pay?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeanne B. Costopoulos

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends what divorce papers you are referring to. If you have a court order that says you get the entire BAH every month starting on a particular date and he has not complied with the court order, then you can file a petition for contempt of the order. If there is a marital settlement agreement stating that he is to pay the entire BAH and he has breached the agreement, you can file a petition to enforce the settlement agreement. If he simply made statements at a domestic relations conference but no hearing took place, then his statements are not enforceable, only the actual order. To give reliable advice, I would need to see the document that requires him to pay you the full BAH to see if the document is enforceable.

  2. John Naumovski


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the above attorney's advice

    the information provided above is for information purposes only and you should consult an attorney for specific... more
  3. Peter Russo

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Attorney Costopoulos' advice is sound. As she mentioned, depending on the verbiage in the documents that you signed with your former spouse, you may seek enforcement by the Court in the form of a petition to enforce the agreement or a petition for contempt. You may even be able to have your former spouse pay your attorney fees if your agreement provided for that in the event of a breach of the agreement.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,888 answers this week

3,152 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,888 answers this week

3,152 attorneys answering