My husband is trying to file for divorce with representation, should I get a attorney?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Cleveland, OH

We have no children, no home to split. 90 days ago he asked me to leave the apartment. He will not let me have my furniture, until we decide who is getting what. I just want out. I am unemployed and do not know if I can afford representation. What should I do?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Bruce William Boerst Jr.

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You need an aggressive attorney in your corner!

    Bruce W. Boerst Jr.
    Attorney at Law
    Divorce and Family Law


    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

  2. Paul Michael Kocsis

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . What you should do depends on how long you have been married, how much property there is that you are seeking, and what the debts are.

    There are potential spousal support issues that are important, especially since you are unemployed. This could be the source of income that will allow you to keep your head above water while seeking other sources of income.

    As to the attorney fees, under a divorce action, it can be requested that your husband pay a sum towards your attorney fees so that you can have representation to protect your interests.

    If you have left the apartment and no divorce has been filed at this time, I would sugget you seek a consultation with an attorney to discuss getting the divorce going so you can get your property as well as provide some certainity to your situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,912 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,912 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering