Skip to main content

My husband is in the hospital under police custody, as a wife do I have a right to see or talk to him?

Reno, NV |
Filed under: Civil rights

His charges are battery with a deadly weapon, attempted armed robber, with elderly enhanced. They will not let me see or talk to him, or give me any detail.

Attorney Answers 2


That's because he is in custody. Security concerns are primary and you -- and he -- have no more rights than if you were requesting to visit him in a jail facility.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Mark as helpful


This answer is based upon the limited facts available in your question. You have a right to know what his medical condition is at the facility. Since he is charged with felonies you should contact the Washoe County Correctional Center to find-out what his condition is at this time. You or your husband's attorney could also file an internal affairs complaint with the Sheriff's office if they still refuse to give you the information. In addition, your husband's attorney has the right to see his client in the hospital facility.

The information shared in this e-mail does not constitute an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with a local attorney in your city where you can share confidential matters and receive a full evaluation of your legal situation.

Mark as helpful

Civil rights topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics