Skip to main content

My husband is in jail for agrvated asault simpe asault andangering another person nd teraristic threats what could the outcome b

Pottstown, PA |

how much time could these charges hold?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Aggravated assault carries a maximum penalty of 20 years imprisonment, that doesn't mean that someone gets that kind of time upon conviction because of the sentencing guidelines.

    However, before you start thinking about time, think about what else can be done, like beating the case. Call me at 215.665.1695 to discuss.

    This commentary does not constitute, and should not be construed to constitute, legal advice. In addition, this commentary is not subject to laws of attorney-client confidentiality and/or attorney-client privilege. You should consult with an attorney in private to obtain legal advice and enjoy confidentiality and privilege.

  2. The most serious crime charged is aggravated assault. There are different subsection, but they are all felonies. The most serious carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in jail and a $25,000 fine. Your husband needs an experienced criminal defense attorney. If he cannot afford a private lawyer, he should apply for a public defender.

  3. I agree with my colleagues in terms of what he is facing. It is commone for these charges to be put together, because they are similar in many ways. The key will really be what, if anything, he is convicted of in the end. He needs a good attorney to minimize any potential exposure and keep his record clean if possible.

    Michael L. Doyle
    (215) 900-5565

  4. I agree with my colleagues and add to the recommendation that your husband get qualified counsel as soon as possible. You should speak to criminal defense attorney about your options, the sooner an attorney gets involved with a case the more help they can provide.

    Contact me for a more detailed discussion of your issue at 215-822-7575, or by email at This answer is based on general legal principles only and is not intended to provide specific legal advice. This answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute the formation of a lawyer-client relationship.

  5. I agree with the attorneys above. I'd also like to note that the sentencing for these crimes may depend on your husband's prior record score. It is important he consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney who can advise him of his options and possible defenses.

    James D. Doyle, Esquire - 310 N High Street, West Chester, PA 19380 - (610) 431-8910 - This is for general purposes only and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney licensed in your State for specific inquiries

  6. The agg. assault alone can carry 20 years. He needs an attorney.

  7. I don't ordinarily weigh in where some many other attorneys that I respect have done so and with whom I agree. I'm deviating from my usual procedure here to emphasize something that I consider really important and that comes up with many of the questions posted to this site. Btw, please understand that what I have to say is not in any way intended as a criticism of this questioner or the hundreds of other just like this person. It is entirely understandable for someone accused, or someone close to them, to want to know how bad it might be. Focusing on the normal area of concern has no real world significance in 99% of criminal cases. Defendants are rarely sentenced to the statutory maximum for their offenses. Devoting one's concerns and thoughts to this topic has at least two negative consequences, the second of which can be extremely detrimental to the ultimate outcome. (1) Engaging in pursuit of this answer to this type of question invariably creates significant stress. Stress and fear are not normally constructive emotions, they're painful distractions. (2) While someone is distracted, they can not focus productively on an activity that might improve their situation and the ultimate outcome. Consulting with a qualified criminal defense attorney enables someone to understand the likely penalty they face if convicted. More importantly it allows the process of formulating a defensive strategy to begin, a strategy that may make thinking about the penalty a complete waste of time. the Commonwealth has to get a conviction before a Defendant can face a judge for imposition of sentence. Beating a case is the best way to avoid negative the consequences of a criminal charge. Focus your time and efforts on helping your husband, with the assistance of skilled counsel, put together the very best defense possible. Good luck to you both.

Violent crime topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics