My husband is Hispanic and I am American we have been marrird for 6 years he came to the us with a visa and passport expired

Asked over 1 year ago - Greensboro, NC

visa and passport have expired we would like to know what we need to do to get his papers he has been here for 12 years

1. Nicklaus James Misiti

2

Answered . If there are no other issues, you can file for his papers, assuming when you say you are "american" you mean you are a US citizen. The problem is that we don't know if there are any other issues based upon your small fact pattern. The best thing to do is to speak with and retain an immigration attorney to confirm your family meets the requirements for your spouse's green card. My firm handles such cases.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

2. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . If he came in with a visa and a passport ... it is a fairly-straight-forward process.

Meet with an immigration lawyer to make sure he 'really' entered the US legally. I'm not doubting him ... it is just that, statistically, most hispanics didn't have a visa to enter the US.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

1

Answered . If the information you gave is accurate - you are US citizen, he came legally AND he has no criminal or other eligibility issues, you can file for him to gain residency. Speak with a lawyer to make sure there are no "hidden" surprises that can cause you trouble.

4. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

1

Answered . in most situations where a person comes United States with a visa and they are married to United States citizen and there are no other issues the permanent resident application is permitted, through a process known as adjustment. There are a limited number of visas that do not permit adjustment of status. You should make an appointment with attorney that practices immigration to determine if your husband is eligible to adjust status.

919.225.3963
    immigration@brown-immigration.com