My husband is from Virginia and has a gun charge in New York because he didnt know the gun laws in New York and brought his gun

Asked over 1 year ago - Newport News, VA

My husband is from Virginia and has a gun charge in New York because he didnt know the gun laws in New York and brought his gun to NY while we were traveling. He told the officer he had the gun in the glove compartment due to a traffic stop. The district attorney is trying to give him a plea bargain of 1 year in Rikers as well as a felony conviction. Is there anything else that can be done about this situation? My husband has no record.

1. Kenneth William Jacobson

1

Answered . Your husband needs an Attorney licensed to practice in New York. Find one with a great deal of experience handling gun charges. A former prosecutor turned Defense Attorney would be a good bet or a Law Firm that focuses their practice on Criminal Defense. Pay up and get the best attorney you can afford.

Your husband's ignorance of the gun laws in New York is no excuse for breaking them. It is a harsh lesson to learn. Even if the gun laws are draconian and absurd, you must still abide by them or face pretty severe consequences.

2. Christopher D. Robison

1

Answered . What happened here is one of the biggest mistakes made by firearms owners... traveling to different states without checking what the gun laws of other states are. In Virginia, we are afforded many gun rights that other states, like New York, do not have. You best bet is to hire a good lawyer who is familiar with the local Courts, and hope for the best. I wish you luck!