My husband is from Virginia and has a gun charge in New York because he didnt know the gun laws in New York and brought his gun

Newport News, VA |

My husband is from Virginia and has a gun charge in New York because he didnt know the gun laws in New York and brought his gun to NY while we were traveling. He told the officer he had the gun in the glove compartment due to a traffic stop. The district attorney is trying to give him a plea bargain of 1 year in Rikers as well as a felony conviction. Is there anything else that can be done about this situation? My husband has no record.

1. Your husband needs an Attorney licensed to practice in New York. Find one with a great deal of experience handling gun charges. A former prosecutor turned Defense Attorney would be a good bet or a Law Firm that focuses their practice on Criminal Defense. Pay up and get the best attorney you can afford.

Your husband's ignorance of the gun laws in New York is no excuse for breaking them. It is a harsh lesson to learn. Even if the gun laws are draconian and absurd, you must still abide by them or face pretty severe consequences.

The information provided herein is intended solely for educational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a local attorney for assistance with your matter.

2. What happened here is one of the biggest mistakes made by firearms owners... traveling to different states without checking what the gun laws of other states are. In Virginia, we are afforded many gun rights that other states, like New York, do not have. You best bet is to hire a good lawyer who is familiar with the local Courts, and hope for the best. I wish you luck!

The answers posted herein are for educational purposes only, and they are not intended as legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship. Please call or write to set up a free consultation. The Robison Law Firm, PLC – Christopher D. Robison, licensed in Virginia. The Robison Law Firm, PLC – Physical Address: 6519 Richmond Road, Warsaw, Virginia 22572 – Mailing Address: P.O. Box 447, Warsaw, Virginia 22572 – Tel. (804) 333-3130 – Fax. (804) 333-3262 – Email: Robison.Law@gmail.com.