My husband is currently going through immigration court and the I-130 has already been submitted, what is next?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

My husband entered the country when he was under 16 with a valid passport and permit. His visa expired while inside the U.S. He was detained while driving without a valid license last year and was detained and put under ICE hold and a lawyer managed to help us drop charges. We had been engaged and planning our wedding for over a year, i even have engagement ring receipt, and pictures of engagement day. When I bailed him out we got married the next day, i couldn't wait to be his wife, i didn't know if he was getting deported. He has a court date set up for December and the I-130 was already submitted. The problem is that i dont have a job right now and he cant work. will that be a problem? what can i do?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I hope you'll have an attorney soon. Only an attorney can stipulate with the lawyers representing ICE to agree to have the immigration judge to terminate the removal proceedings In immigration court so that your husband can proceed to adjust his status to lawful permanent resident.

    There is absolutely nothing either the court or ICE can do to him if he accepts any kind of employment now.

    The proper way of proceeding with all this is to have a lawyer terminate the proceeding and help husband file Form I-485, as well as Form I-765 for employment authorization.

    You will need to find a co-sponsor for the Affidavit of Support that needs to accompany every I-485 green card application.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Albert H. Valk

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you don't have an attorney yet, and it looks that you are very tight with money at this moment, you can do several things: first, when you go to immigration court next month, show them the I-130, with proof that you are a US citizen, his lawful entry, and of bona fide marriage, and ask for time to find an attorney, or, in the alternative, continue the case until your I-130 is adjudicated. Second, make an Infopass appointment with your local USCIS office, bring your I-130 receipt and the court hearing notice. Ask the supervisor to expedite your I-130 because you are in court proceedings. Approval of your I-130 will open a way out of deportation for your husband. Eventually, as other attorneys advised, you will need a joint sponsor, but it is way down the road. Good luck!

One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,602 answers this week

3,176 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,602 answers this week

3,176 attorneys answering