Skip to main content

My husband is committing adultery and he beats me to go see a young girl apparently he has had kids with her can he be charged

Pontiac, MI |

i have proof that hes had two children with this young girl and i have filed domestic charges but they let him free can he be charged with adultery

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Technically, adultery is illegal in Michigan, but in the vast majority of cases, the local prosecutor is not willing to expend precious resources to prosecute that particular crime. I would humbly suggest you focus your efforts on being safe, and ensuring that you ASAP call the police if he ever hurts you in the future. Please be cautious and IMMEDIATELY call the cops if he ever tries to hurt you again. All my best, Matt Catchick.



I was able to get a personal protection order against him but it makes no difference he's still bothering me and no ones willing to help me I have been to The police The prosecution attorney on my case,but it was still dismissed and I was looked past like my situation don't matter Im afraid he might try to do great bodily harm he'salready tried to kill me by strangulation I don't know what to do anymore by letting him free they assured him that he can and will get away with his crimes so where do I go from here...

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.


Call HAVEN (a company that helps victims of domestic violence) at (877) 922-1274. Hopefully, they can help. I wish you all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.


Most respectfully, you need to focus on your own safety and future, and make a decision you can live with about your marriage. Whether you stay or go, criminal prosecution for his adultery will not be part of the picture, nor will it likely make a difference in your divorce.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer..

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


There is not a prosecutor in Michigan that will charge adultery. If he ever hits or hurts yo again call the police and do not agree to drop the charges. You should call an attorney to discuss your options regarding your marriage.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer