My husband is being charged with posession of a controlled substance and sell. Are there any pro bono defense attorneys?

Concord, CA |

Is it customary for the defense to enter a "suppression motion"? This attorney only is speaking of taking a "deal" and has not filed any motions or made any moves to "defend" my husband.

There are many, many pro bono criminal defense attorneys. They are called public defenders. When your husband goes to court, the judge will ask if he can afford to hire a lawyer. If the answer is no, then the judge will appoint the public defender to represent him. The public defender will review the case, will any motions that are appropriate, negotiate a settlement (if that's what your husband wants) and defend him all the way through trial if necessary.

I believe my colleague overlooked the fact that your husband already has an attorney whom you don't like. This business is your husband's business not yours. Whether or not a suppression motion should be filed varies on a case by case basis.

I dont have a personal opinion of the man. I am only a wife trying to get information that could help my husband. This is his business however I am sure if you were in my shoes you would understand that I only wish to help him not form a thought of the attorney. I only wish that he can be reprensented properly.

There may or may not be a basis for a motion to suppress. Attorney is not obligated to file a motion just because the defendant of acquaintance of the defendant thinks it should be filed.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.