Skip to main content

My husband is applying for H1B visa this April. Can I apply for work visa, without having any company sponsoring me.

San Francisco, CA |

I want to apply for work visa, without having any company sponsoring me. As I will search job once we come to USA. My husband has applied for H1B visa, with having a graduate degree from Indian university and 6 yrs of work experience, I don't want to come on H4 visa

Attorney Answers 3



J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


If you do not wish to enter on H-4 is a choice you make. However normally USCIS does not grant EAD to foreign nationals unless there is a underlying immigrant visa petition and/ or adjustment application pending to support their U.S. stay. Consult with a competent immigration attorney to learn about your options.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Yes, if you are a person of extraordinary ability.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics