My Husband is an Undocumented Worker, how can he get his residency and documents to stay and work here in the US legally?

Asked over 2 years ago - Ocala, FL

My husband and I have been married almost 3 years and we have a 1 year old daughter. I am always driving him around because we are both afraid that he could get pulled over and deported like many of his friends have. He has no criminal history and has been in this country 8 years and has a steady job. We really need for him to have a drivers licsense and workers permit at the least. Is there any way he can get his residency and get on track to get citizenship in the future?

1. Wendy Renee Whitt

8

1

Answered . You should consult with an immigration attorney to determine whether you qualify to sponsor him for permanent residency. These cases can be complex and your husband may or may not be eligible to adjust his status from inside the United States.

2. Debbi Lee Klopman

6

Best Answer

Answered . As my colleague has suggested --this is a complex matter.

There is a proposed rule, introduced by the Obama administration which might allow people in your husband's situation to apply for a provisional waiver while still in the United States. This rule is still at the proposal stage of the rule making process and it is unclear how long it would take for it to be approved. Also, it is unclear at the present time exactly who would be covered under this rule, and the implications of a denied provisional waiver. The idea of this rule is to prevent the covered families from having to be separated which is the present procedure for waiver application and adjudication. Please consult an immigration attorney to see what options exist for you and what their chances are of success.

.Debbi Klopman, ESq.
    398 Bergen Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11217
    www.debbiklopmanlawoffice.com
    dkny430@aol.com
    718 622 1208
    This advice was intended to be general in nature and not to be taken as a legal opinion or legal advice and was not deemed to create an attorney-client relationship

3. Jeffrey N Lisnow

4

1

Answered . Speak with an attorney to see if he qualifies for anything.

4. J Charles Ferrari

3

1

Answered . It depends on your status, how he entered the US, whether he qualifies for 245(i), his immigration history, and his criminal history, if any.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.