My husband is an overstay. Can I include him in AOS application?

Asked about 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

I have an approved I-140 and my company will now start processing my AOS. My husband is an overstay but he grandfathers the benefits of 245i. (His dad has an approved I-130 on October 1992. He aged out of this petition.) Can I include him in my AOS application and use 245i so he can adjust status here in the US? Thanks.

1. Daniel Warren Thomann

5

Answered . Generally, yes - but in addition to making sure he really is grandfathered, you need to make sure no bars apply that 245(i) does not waive. For example: if he left the US at some point he may be subject to a departure bar that 245(i) does not waive. I suggest discussing the details with an attorney. Good luck!

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . If he is in fact grandfathered for 245(i), then yes.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . Maybe. However, you need to reatain an experienced Immigration Attorney for assistance.

4. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . He should be able to adjust under 245(I).