My husband is a joint owner of a property with his friend. His friend just died. What is needed to remove the deceased's name?

There is no will.

Williamsport, PA -

Clifford L. Tuttle Jr.

Clifford L. Tuttle Jr.

Commercial Real Estate Attorney - Pittsburgh, PA

If the deed says that they are "joint tenants with right of survivorship", the title passed to him automatically upon his co-owner's death. If the deed says "tenants in common" or nothing, the title passed automatically to the co-owner's heirs at law. Show the deed to a lawyer who has a real estate practice.

Clifford L. Tuttle, Jr.
Attorney at Law

James S. Tupitza

James S. Tupitza

Real Estate Attorney - West Chester, PA

Pa Dept of Revenue will be looking for its inheritance tax on the friend's interest.

Kristina Street Hatcher

Kristina Street Hatcher

Real Estate Attorney - Johnson City, TN

I agree. The only point I would add is that the cost of consulting an attorney will likely be minimal and it will put you in a far better position to know early on what your rights and options are, rather than waiting for the deceased's heirs to come to you. Good luck.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.