My husband is a joint owner of a property with his friend. His friend just died. What is needed to remove the deceased's name?

Asked over 2 years ago - Williamsport, PA

There is no will.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Clifford L. Tuttle Jr.


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If the deed says that they are "joint tenants with right of survivorship", the title passed to him automatically upon his co-owner's death. If the deed says "tenants in common" or nothing, the title passed automatically to the co-owner's heirs at law. Show the deed to a lawyer who has a real estate practice.

    Clifford L. Tuttle, Jr.
    Attorney at Law

    The foregoing answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Answers... more
  2. James S. Tupitza

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Pa Dept of Revenue will be looking for its inheritance tax on the friend's interest.

    DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  3. Kristina Street Hatcher

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree. The only point I would add is that the cost of consulting an attorney will likely be minimal and it will put you in a far better position to know early on what your rights and options are, rather than waiting for the deceased's heirs to come to you. Good luck.

    If this answer is "helpful" to you, please indicate so. If it is the "best answer" you receive, please indicate... more

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,742 answers this week

2,274 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,742 answers this week

2,274 attorneys answering