My husband is a joint owner of a property with his friend. His friend just died. What is needed to remove the deceased's name?

Asked over 2 years ago - Williamsport, PA

There is no will.

1. Clifford L. Tuttle Jr.

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . If the deed says that they are "joint tenants with right of survivorship", the title passed to him automatically upon his co-owner's death. If the deed says "tenants in common" or nothing, the title passed automatically to the co-owner's heirs at law. Show the deed to a lawyer who has a real estate practice.

Clifford L. Tuttle, Jr.
    Attorney at Law

2. James S. Tupitza

1

1

Answered . Pa Dept of Revenue will be looking for its inheritance tax on the friend's interest.

3. Kristina Street Hatcher

1

1

Answered . I agree. The only point I would add is that the cost of consulting an attorney will likely be minimal and it will put you in a far better position to know early on what your rights and options are, rather than waiting for the deceased's heirs to come to you. Good luck.