My husband is a joint owner of a property with his friend. His friend just died. What is needed to remove the deceased's name?

Williamsport, PA |

There is no will.

If the deed says that they are "joint tenants with right of survivorship", the title passed to him automatically upon his co-owner's death. If the deed says "tenants in common" or nothing, the title passed automatically to the co-owner's heirs at law. Show the deed to a lawyer who has a real estate practice.

Clifford L. Tuttle, Jr.
Attorney at Law

The foregoing answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Answers are based upon the facts stated and may change if there are additional facts not contained in the question.

I agree. The only point I would add is that the cost of consulting an attorney will likely be minimal and it will put you in a far better position to know early on what your rights and options are, rather than waiting for the deceased's heirs to come to you. Good luck.

If this answer is "helpful" to you, please indicate so. If it is the "best answer" you receive, please indicate that also. Disclaimer: This answer sets up no attorney/client relationship. The information provided here is done so as general information only and is not intended as legal advice.

Kristina Street Hatcher

Kristina Street Hatcher

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as such. Thanks!

Pa Dept of Revenue will be looking for its inheritance tax on the friend's interest.

DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise. When answering questions on AVVO, attorneys are prohibited from directly soliciting business. Don't take this as an indication of lack of interest. Follow my answers to other questions on Twitter @LandLawyer James S. Tupitza 212 West Gay Street West Chester, PA 19380 610-696-2600

Wills and estates topics