My husband is a first time felon serving 18 months at a state prison in florida for traffic in counterfeit credit cards and

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Forgery of credit cards.he has been a green card holder for 17 years. Immigration has currently put a hold on him what does this mean? Would he be able to go to a halfway house ? How along into his sentenced for him to be eligible?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. LeRoy E Costner


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You and your husband really need to talk with a good immigration attorney. Take some time, call around and find the one that you think will take your husband's case seriously. I wish you and your husband good luck.

  2. Brenda A Drake


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If ICE has put a hold on him, it is unlikely he'll be going to any halfway house as he has a detainer - a detainer basically says, "Do not release this person until we've dealt with him." If the detainer were from another jail, upon completion of his current sentence, he'd be held until the new jail/county came to pick him up. In this case, he'll be held until ICE decides what to do with him. As the others have said, you need to speak with an Immigration attorney asap.

    This response is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should... more
  3. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Hire a lawyer ASAP. If he's a green card holder he has more chances to stay in the U.S. However, with the ICE detainer and the criminal conduct, he'll likely be detained by ICE upon the completion of his current incarceration. He'll need to begin working to solidify his right to status in the U.S. now rather than waiting.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now