Skip to main content

My husband is a convicted felon we live in the state of florida I was wanting to buy a gun for my protection

Live Oak, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

he goes out of town for work and when he does it is just me and my two kids at home. I was told that I could own a firearm but there was several steps that I would have to do to kept it in my home if I can have one in the home was also wondering what the steps are

Attorney Answers 3


The gun would have to be kept secured so your husband could not possess it. Possibly in a safe which he can not open and has no knowledge of how to gain access.

David R. Damore, Esq., Damore, Delgado, Romanik & Rawlins, Daytona Beach, FL, (386) 255-1400. Mr. Damore is a former Volusia and Broward County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Technically you are allowed to possess a gun and so you could own one legally. The problem is that your husband will be residing with you and the police will assume he possesses as well. Possession means that a person has knowledge of a thing and exerts dominion and control over it. So I agree that putting it in a safe in which he does not have a key could satisfy this. I will still add a warning that if for some reason police were to find out about the gun (side note: never give police permission to enter or search your house) they will attribute it to him. If he were charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon you could certainly testify in his defense, but the prosecutor would argue that you are just covering up for him.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You can own a firearm. Your husband cannot possess a firearm. Make sure there is some sort of plausible means of making sure your husband has no access to the firearm. Florida does not require you to register firearms as do many states.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics