My husband is a convicted felon we live in the state of florida I was wanting to buy a gun for my protection

Asked about 2 years ago - Live Oak, FL

he goes out of town for work and when he does it is just me and my two kids at home. I was told that I could own a firearm but there was several steps that I would have to do to kept it in my home if I can have one in the home was also wondering what the steps are

1. Eric J Trabin

4

Answered . Technically you are allowed to possess a gun and so you could own one legally. The problem is that your husband will be residing with you and the police will assume he possesses as well. Possession means that a person has knowledge of a thing and exerts dominion and control over it. So I agree that putting it in a safe in which he does not have a key could satisfy this. I will still add a warning that if for some reason police were to find out about the gun (side note: never give police permission to enter or search your house) they will attribute it to him. If he were charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon you could certainly testify in his defense, but the prosecutor would argue that you are just covering up for him.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.
  2. David Richard Damore

Pro

3

Answered . The gun would have to be kept secured so your husband could not possess it. Possibly in a safe which he can not open and has no knowledge of how to gain access.

3. Zachary Michael Ward

2

Answered . You can own a firearm. Your husband cannot possess a firearm. Make sure there is some sort of plausible means of making sure your husband has no access to the firearm. Florida does not require you to register firearms as do many states.