Skip to main content

My husband is on an ICE hold for failing to renew his work permit prompted by a domestic violence case, what will ICE do next?

Los Alamitos, CA |

Husband is a Mexican citizen, but has been here since he was 4 years old on student and work permits, was in the US military, he was originally jailed for his first domestic violence offense, had his hearing, and was transportated to an ICE facility.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It really depends on his immigration status now. That in turn depends on how he was eligible for work permits in the past, and the specifics of his conviction.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Your husband is most likely removable from the US if he has been convicted of a domestic violence offense. Consult with an immigration attorney to discuss eligibility for relief from removal, such as cancellation of removal.


"Process" husband at the detention facility and draw up his NTA (Notice to Appear), which it will use in immigration court to have him removed from the U.S.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Most likely, they will issue him a Notice to Appear, which starts the deportation proceedings. He will then have to appear before an Immigration Judge where he can apply for relief from removal if he qualifies. Because of recent domestic violence conviction, ICE and the Immigration Judge may find that he is a "danger to the community" and deny bond. In which case, your husband would have to stay in detention while pursuing relief from removal. I advise you to get a good immigration attorney who can help you navigate his case if he is placed in removal proceedings.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer