My husband has Z-E-R-O Money, but his father has over $100 million. Can I get any money from the father if my husband cant pay?

I am a victim of domestic violence. My husband of 1.5 yrs has been arrested 4 times for DV on me He has broken my ribs TWICE (2nd time I was 6 wk pregs w/our 1st), he threw a box cutter at me resulting in 19 stitches & I broke my own wrist in self defense i had surgery 9 pins & a plate. Direct results of his behavior have caused me to be thrown out of every home here in L.A. my business is suffering, my bank account went from 70K down to MINUS 100 since the day we married. I have 100's of hours of recordings of him, saved text msgs, witnesses, police reports, etc. I want Justice! My husband has no money but his family (dad) is filthy rich. The dad changed his dads will that incld my husband 4 his young gold digging wife. He is huge narcissist & screwed up my husband big time. I blame him

******!!!!!****** I spent about 10K on a high profile therapist who documented my husbands behaviors. They diagnosed my husband as having PTSD from his traumatic childhood. The therapist concluded that many of my husband's behaviors are directly related to the way his father treated him growing up. I have several other therapists and professionals who can concur, including a few who also treated my husband. My father-in-law has now cut my husband off completely because he dis-obeyed his command to leave me and never speak to me again. If you don't do what this man says you are "OUT". Due to this recent "cut off" my husband is worse than ever before. I had to change my locks and disable his cell phone. He is sleeping/living out of his car and basically stealing just to get by... all because his father told him to get rid of me and he refused, making him like a loose cannon.

Not unless you can prove that your husband transferred assets to his father to avoid having them tied to a divorce proceeding or that you were somehow entitled to money that the father was giving to his son (and that would be hard to do, without more detail here.) You can try to speak with an attorney to see if there are other ways around your husband's situation but at the moment, hating your father in law is about as far as you can go.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

Reid, what if my narcissistic father-in-law had been made aware of my husband's behavior and also was informed because I REACHED OUT TO HIM FOR HELP on numerous occasions and got smart ass answers back. Couldn't that constitute as some sort of negligence on the fathers part. I feel like he could have helped, or at least minimized some of the devastating occurrences. He was made aware of the abuse and ignored my cries for help in a few situations where things were real bad (my life at risk) and just sloughed it off and made assanying comments. You have no idea the magnitude and complex details of this 1.5 year marriage. I'm lucky to be alive. There is no way I'm going to just turn my back and chalk it up as a "bad experience" ******!!!!!****** I spent about 10K on a high profile therapist who documented and basically diagnosed my husband as having PTSD from his traumatic childhood. The therapist concluded that many of my husband's behaviors are directly related to the way his father treated him growing up. I have about 5 other therapists and professional sources who can back this up as well and whom have also treated my husband. My father-in-law has now cut my husband off completely because he dis-obeyed his command to leave me and never speak to me again. If you don't do what this man says you are "OUT". So because of this recent cut off my husband is now even worse than ever before. I had to change my locks and disable his cell phone. He is sleeping/living out of his car and basically stealing just to get by... all because his father told him to get rid of me and he refused, making him like a loose cannon. ******!!!!!****** Please advise... Please!

Reid A Seino

Reid A Seino

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything you can do regarding this situation. Your father in law may be the best candidate to make Hitler look like a saint but, at the end of the day, what he is doing is not illegal. It's hard to hear that out of the blue, so let me try to explain what I mean. In order to effectively sue someone in court, you need to have some legal basis in order to get your foot in the door. What do we mean by legal basis? We mean that you have to have some reason or stance that is recognized in the law of your state in order to proceed. Your father in law DOES NOT OWE YOU ANY DUTY UNDER THE LAW. Should he have been more sympathetic? Perhaps, but that's not illegal. There is no duty under the law to be kind to a daughter in law or a son in law. There is also no responsibility for him to take care of you in any way, shape or form. He owes you nothing so at that point, you have nothing under the law and no duty owed to you. Assume for a moment that he did owe you some sort of obligation to take care of you in a better way or be more hospitable. Did you suffer any sort of physical harm from his actions? One could argue, yes, because of your alleged abuse and fear of your husband. Still, one could also argue that he never did anything to you. It was your husband's reactions. You say he ignored your pleas for help. Once again, this goes back to the owing no duty to help. At the end of the day, you haven't sustained any harm or damages from him. Hard to get anywhere without it. You have unfortunately run across the point that many people have encountered: a spiteful inlaw. You hear stories and you should remember that stories often have roots in some kernel of truth. What you should do is take stock of your life, your finances, your livelihood, and work out something with your husband to end your marriage. This man is going to make your life hell and only you can determine if it is worth the agitation and strife you are going through.

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

Well said.

I am sorry, but you cannot recover from the father, no matter how low you are that is the fathers fault your husband is a bad person. If you had had a prenuptial agreement of some sort, it's possible you may have been provided for thinking ahead. As it stands you are simply in a bad place.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: ECSEsquire@AOL.com. All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

First, I'd learn martial arts and the art of shooting guns should you ever have to encounter this perp again. Do not reconcile with this beast; that would look like gold digging at best. You cannot force the perp's father to re-inherit the perp; but, with you two separated for good the perp's father might return his largess upon the perp and you can sue the perp and get a judgment awaiting that day probably without much of a legal defense by the homeless perp. I hope that you proceeded criminally against the perp thus making your recourse easier on your civil claims. The perp's father may be being victimized by the golddigger and thus earning a complaint to, and/or visit by, Elder Abuse authorities.

Robert, I understand what you are saying believe me. I get it. There is so much here that I could write a novel.. and continue with several series that would actually outnumber the total number of editions in the Harry Potter series. I feel like the only way I will mentally be able to get over this is to have some sort of monetary compensation from that family. They have put me through hell as a whole. I'm not a gold digger either. My family is very successful as am I. I don't care what i have to do but I will find something the court will recognize, i'm a very driven person and wont stop until i have what I need. Let me ask you if this would qualify. Could I say that the Narcissist father interfered with our marriage? And the interference was an element or catalyst in my husband's choices and behaviors? Here is where I am going with this. Two months after we were married My husband was arrested for the 2nd time. His father hired a lawyer that I found and took all the info I researched and used it (then tried to use it against me). He cut my husband off completely and tried to scare him. He told my husband he would be going to jail for a long time if he did not go this program called narcanon. My husband had no idea what he was getting into. Since has scared to death he went to this program. They bused and flew him all around and got him to go as far away from me s they could. he ended up in UTAH. When he found out what was going on he flipped out. The father told him that was his only choice and even paid off the lawyer to tell my husband the same thing. He is absolutely corrupt! He pays people off to do what he wants and i hate him! I helped my husband escape this cult place called narcanon and did some research. I found out he did NOT have to go there. To make a long story short my father-in-law used his money to persuede people and get what he wanted. He did this with several other things as well which are like this narcanon example. AS A RESULT OF THIS INTERFERENCE my husband has a lot of rage and anger because he blames me for the crap his dad did. His dad has somehow convinced him i'm the reason he had to go to narconon. The father actually told him when I got him out of there "I was actually going to let you out of there in a few months if you were good" IF people can sue a fast food place for burning themselves with a cup of coffee they spilled on themselves because they took the lid off and put it between their legs while driving, or sue somebody because they were robbing a house and got stuck in the garage for 8 days living off a case of pepsi and dry dog food claiming they had severe mental anguish..... Then Damn it I should be able to sue these Jerks for REAL MENTAL ANGUISH AND PHYSICAL DAMAGE!!! Can anybody please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!