My husband has recent.ly passed away can I, get widows benefits

Asked about 1 year ago - Resaca, GA

Can I get widows pension

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

7

Answered . I am sorry for your loss. There is no such thing as "widows pension." And "widows benefits" is not a specific legal term, so we'd need to know what you're asking about.

If your husband left life insurance or a retirement plan naming you as beneficiary you should be able to request that money. In some cases you may be able to draw on social security.

Some jointly titled assets pass automatically for you.

Other assets require probate of a will (or if no will estate administration). Georgia also has a law called year's support that may be part of the probate process for you.

The best move is do nothing until you talk to a lawyer.

2. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

4

Answered . You need to go and sit down with an attorney to review the entire matter.

Darrell B. Reynolds,
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
    Decatur, Ga. 30033
    404-636-6616

3. James P. Frederick

4

Answered . I am very sorry for your loss. You have not given enough information to answer your question. Assuming your husband received a pension, and assuming he had it set up to provide survivor benefits, then you should be able to receive the benefits. If the pension did not have death or survivor benefits, then there may be nothing left for you to receive. The pension department at your husband's employer should be able to answer these questions for you. You may also be entitled to social security benefits, as well.

James Frederick

4. Celia R Reed

3

Answered . My condolences. If your husband had a pension or other retirement assets, and you are listed as beneficiary, you will receive these benefits once you notice the plan administrator of your husband's death. You may also be entitled to social security benefits.