My husband has immigration court in denver after transfering it from los angeles, what can i expect in denver court ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Denver, CO

my husband went thru ice because of driving ticket, a few but thats the only thing on his record.he did go to jail because they became warrants wen he didnt go to court for the traffic violations. he is out on bail from ins. he was one month shy of closing his case in los angeles all they asked of him was a COJ. we moved before his court and transferred his case. he has an approved petition from my self, his wife, filed and approved in three months and a petition from his dad also approved which made him i 245 eligible. i want to know if they will ask for a coj in co and if the laws here on immigration differ too much from los angeles. (his petition was approved after his release from jail not before.)

1. Laura L Lichter

1

Answered . The laws in the Denver immigration court are the same as the laws in Los Angeles, but the people are different. You will have a new judge and new prosecutors, and they may--or may not--look at the case the same way as it was going in LA.

Being in immigration court can have very serious consequences--consult with someone local that focuses on deportation or removal defense to better understand what needs to be done with your case. This is not the time to go it alone--get experienced counsel if going before the immigration judge.

2. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . There should be no significant different in the immigration laws in Colorado and California.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Immigration law is the same nationwide.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

One or more answers have been taken down.