My husband has had a stroke and no longer can write his name or make legal decesions. we don't have a will made up.

what should I do to get a will for the both of us? do i need to become my husbands power of attorney first before i make a will?

Dozier, AL -

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Estate Planning Attorney - Livonia, MI

I am very sorry for your situation. It may not be possible for your husband to execute a Will OR a POA, at this point. Your best bet is to have an estate planning attorney review things with you to determine what, if anything, can be done. Whether your husband can complete an estate plan at this point or not, YOU should do so, so that your affairs will at least be in order, if something happens to you.

James Frederick

Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

Wills and Living Wills Lawyer - Stamford, CT

Attorney Frederick is correct. During any period of incapacitation, your husband is not in a position to execute a will, power of attorney or health care proxy. Note that it is possible, though, for your husband to regain his competency at some point down the road. In the meantime, please meet with an estate planning attorney who can walk you through your options, including the preparation of your own documentation. Good luck to you.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

Very sorry for your circumstances.
It appears that your husband can no longer sign a legal document.
You should make a will or trust at the advice of your attorney and seek a guardianship
of your husband.
i wish you the best during this difficult time.

Randy William Ferguson

Randy William Ferguson

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Huntsville, AL

You need to talk to a local probate attorney as soon as possible.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

Very sorry for your circumstances.
of your husband.

Related Advice