My husband has an I-551 form green card from 1982. I need to know does that need to be replaced with the newer form or not?

Houston, TX |

His card has NO expiration date. My sister is an immigration lawyer in London (UK) and she is the one that alerted me to the fact that it might need to be replaced but I do not think that she is correct as I called INS and they said that he does not need the newer one.I want to make sure before we travel abroad. Thanks.

His card is the old kind with no expiration date. USCIS has recommended that LPRs renew their cards to the 10-year variety. The people you called at USCIS (INS) -- was it the customer service number? They don't always tell you the correct thing. I don't think you'll have a problem reentering with the old card, but make an Infopass appointment and speak to a live clerk at the counter.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

he does not need to get a new card

Thank you for your help.

I agree with my colleague.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

Thank you for your help.

Gen Kimura

Gen Kimura

You are welcome.

I agree with my colleagues.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

I think he is OK with a card from 1982, but I would suggest taking the card to the USCIS on an infopass appointment and asking them if you are worried. That way you will not have trouble traveling.