My husband has a judgement for an auto accident. Can they take our house. It's paid for. We live in Texas.

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

If the property is in my name only , can they attach lien to it?

1. Daniel David Horowitz III

14

Answered . The simple answer is no. Texas is a homestead property state which means certain assets are exempt from seizure. With that said, if your house is paid for and your husband caused the harm the judgment was a result of, you should do the right thing and pay it. They can take your husband's drivers license away for an unpaid judgment. Plus the judgment will make it hard to sell your house because most title companies will not issue title insurance on a property that the owner has unpaid judgments.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

14

Answered . If the home is in your name alone -- and there has been no fraudulent transfer of that interest between you and your husband, chances are great that it is protected. You may want to talk to an attorney to make sure your interests are protected to the greatest extent possible. You may want tot alk to the attorney your husband had at the time the judgment was entered against him as well.

Pro

12

Answered . No, there is a homestead act in your state.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Kevin Coluccio

11

Answered . Consult with an attorney - it will be worth paying the attorney to get some advice.

5. Gregory H. Bevel

Pro

9

Answered . You should speak with a lawyer who handles both debt collection and bankruptcy. If your home is in the city, the homestaed exemption is unlimeted. If you live in a rural area, you have a 200 acre limit to what you can claim as your homestead.

But there are other aspects to living with a judgement hanging over your heads that you should be aware of. The judgement creditor can pursue other assets, such as checking and savings accounts, forcing you live a cash only lifestyle.

Bankruptcy might be an option that you should be aware of.

Good luck to you.

Greg

6. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

10

Answered . Talk to an attorney in TX.