Skip to main content

My husband has a civil judgement against him on his credit report.

Douglas, MA |

As we are currently looking for a house this poses a problem on his credit & the ability to get preapproved. How do we go about getting this removed? How do we correctly speak to the creditors so we can pay this off & get it removed from his report? How do we go about getting the judgment or debt lowered & fees & interest removed? I have an idea on how to, just need the official letter. Thanks.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. How to speak? Don't let them know you are buying a house.
    How to get judgment removed? Pay it and get a release.
    How to get judgment amount lowered? Consult with a debt settlement attorney.

  2. As I recall most credit judgments remain on the record for 10 years. Paying it off ALWAYS is a goodcx thingh, but it wont' remove the judgment from the report. Unless the judgment was false, the credit reporting agencies won't remove it for the convenience of the debtor--would defeat the purpose of having credit reporting. Not good news I know, sorry. You can see a local attorney to see if some aspect of the debt itself can be attacked....

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

  3. I agree with the previous answers. One more thing to note, the judgment may not be the only problem, check to see if other debt collectors are also reporting the same debt. They sometimes sell these debts over time and each debt collector may be reporting it. So just make sure that when you settle you get the agreement in writing, and a satisfaction of judgment- it will help you clean up any loose ends on your report.

    Hope this helps!

    NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Rochelle N Belnap or Belnap & Forbes, PLLC.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics