My husband has a civil judgement against him on his credit report.

Asked about 1 year ago - Douglas, MA

As we are currently looking for a house this poses a problem on his credit & the ability to get preapproved. How do we go about getting this removed? How do we correctly speak to the creditors so we can pay this off & get it removed from his report? How do we go about getting the judgment or debt lowered & fees & interest removed? I have an idea on how to, just need the official letter. Thanks.

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

1

Answered . As I recall most credit judgments remain on the record for 10 years. Paying it off ALWAYS is a goodcx thingh, but it wont' remove the judgment from the report. Unless the judgment was false, the credit reporting agencies won't remove it for the convenience of the debtor--would defeat the purpose of having credit reporting. Not good news I know, sorry. You can see a local attorney to see if some aspect of the debt itself can be attacked....

2. Rochelle N Belnap

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answers. One more thing to note, the judgment may not be the only problem, check to see if other debt collectors are also reporting the same debt. They sometimes sell these debts over time and each debt collector may be reporting it. So just make sure that when you settle you get the agreement in writing, and a satisfaction of judgment- it will help you clean up any loose ends on your report.

Hope this helps!

3. James Liu

1

Answered . How to speak? Don't let them know you are buying a house.
    How to get judgment removed? Pay it and get a release.
    How to get judgment amount lowered? Consult with a debt settlement attorney.