MY HUSBAND HAS A CHILD IN USA. WE LIVE IN NY AND IM ADJUSTING HIS STATUS FOR A GREENCARD. SHOULD I MENTION THAT CHILD?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

MY HUSBAND SIGNED THE BIRTH CERT. FOR A CHILD BACK IN 2007 ( WHILE BEING IILEGAL/ VISITOR VISA EXPIRED). I HAD A COMMUNITY LAWYER FILL OUT THE "ADJUSTMENT PACKET" AND HE ADVISED US THAT WE SHOULD NOT MENTION THIS CHILD BECAUSE IT CAN MAKE THINGS VERY VERY COMPLICATED. ESPECIALLY SINCE MY HUSBAND MAINTAINS HIS SON VIA CASH. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO OR IF HE'S RIGHT. CAN INS KNOW? MY INTERVIEW IS IN A WEEK...IF THEY ASK IF EITHER HAVE PRIOR KIDS. WHAT SHOULD I SAY?

1. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

6

Answered . Failure to disclose material information on USCIS applications is fraud. Please consuylt with an immigration attorney before making any grave errors.

2. Dean P Murray

3

Answered . You need to consult an immigration lawyer. Perpetrating a fraud on USCIS can have very severe, negative consequences.

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

2

Answered . You should consult an immigration attorney as soon as possible. Failure to disclose a material fact can lead to denial of the visa and possible fraud charges.

4. Allan Scott Lolly

Pro

3

Answered . Misrepresentation on immigration forms is grounds for a permanent bar from the U.S., married or not. It's good that you question the advice. Please consult privately with a licensed U.S. immigration attorney who will be responsible for the advice given.

5. Alena Shautsova

Pro

Answered . Take a lawyer with you for the interview. The child has to be "disclosed."

6. Joseph Caraccio

Answered . If you fail to mention the child and they find out about it then things are going to be much more complicated than if you had been forthcoming with the information.

It is a very bad idea to try to deceive an agent. If they perceive your failure to disclose the child as a misrepresentation you could end up getting yourself in a great deal of trouble.

I would advise you to get a second opinion from an attorney other than the one who did the adjustment packet because not disclosing the existence of that child if asked is a terrible idea.