My husband has a 15 year old (May 2014)daughter. Her mother is allowing her to date an 18 year old. What is the law?

Asked 2 months ago - Sorrento, FL

We just want to know if we can address this issue or not, and if there are legal restrictions? If there are, what are they and how can we address them? We need as specific an answer as possible. Does a parent have any rights concerning this issue? Thank you for your time and consideration.

1. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

2

1

Answered . Just dating? It is highly illegal for anyone to have sex with a 15 year old. It is called sexual battery, and it does not matter that the 15 year old consents. The 18 year old can be branded for life as a sexual offender. He should tell the daughter that she is not allowed to date the 18 year old, and the mother should know this.

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

2

Answered . As my colleagues have stated, it is illegal to have sexual relations with these ages. However, it is NOT illegal to date. Notwithstanding what anyone knows is really happening, running off and reporting to law enforcement may not be the best and most ideal option for purposes of the family and also the potential to ruin this young man's life.

I would recommend having a family discussion regarding this topic. Let everyone air each other's feelings out about it and see what happens from there. In the end, it may not be an issue if they are just dating.

3. Marian Audrey Lindquist

1

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney De Groot, it is criminal for an 18 year old to have sexual intercourse with a 15 year old. If I were your husband I would make it known to his daughter, her mother and the 18 year old that if they remain together he will prosecute the 18 year old to the full extent of the law. I would leave out the sexual intercourse part in the conversation assuming they will figure they can lie as to whether or not they are having sex. From a practical standpoint, once she is 16, it's not criminal anymore, the age restriction jumps to 24. Good luck.