Skip to main content

My husband has 3 DUIs in PA, is it possible to get these expunged?

Oxford, PA |

The first DUI he recieved when he was 17, he is now 29 so it has been over 10 years. I'd really like to get this one off his record because he was a juvenile and I thought that your Juvenile record doesn't get to be taken into consideration when you're charged as an adult? He got his 2nd at 23 and his 3rd at 26. We were told by his lawyer that once 10 years had passed he could indeed look into getting one expunged? They were all in PA and I'm confused because looking on here it seems that isn't the case; which leaves me wondering why his lawyer said it was possible for the right amount of $. He's not yet 30 and I hate to think of him stuck with these 3 strikes forever, no matter how much time goes by. Also, it looks bad for future employment opportunities.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. There are only a few ways to have something expunged in PA. Obviously if your husband was placed on ARD for one of the cases and completed everything he would be able to get that expunged. Unfortunately if he pled guilty or was found guilty he would have a conviction and this much harder to have it expunged. I fact, in PA he would have to be 70 years old or dead to have it expunged. He could also try and have it expunged by pardon through the governors office as well. This is something he will want to have reviewed by an experienced DUI attorney and I would strongly suggest talking with one.

  2. You should have an experienced criminal defense attorney review your record to determine which cases if any can be expunged. Convictions and pleas cannot be expunged.

  3. I agree with the responses you have received thus far and write separately to say that your son's counsel should be the sole source of information and advice about his situation. If your son is not satisfied with the representation, he is certainly allowed to seek a new attorney.

  4. Certain DUI dispositions, such as ARD, are likely expungeable. Others are not. You should meet with an experienced criminal defense attorney who can advise you on which charges can be expunged. Please feel free to contact me if you should have any further questions.

    James D. Doyle, Esquire - 310 N High Street, West Chester, PA 19380 - (610) 431-8910 - This is for general purposes only and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney licensed in your State for specific inquiries

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics