My husband got into a car accident about 3 weeks ago, he was on the freeway and a car hit his car from behind. After dealing

Stockton, CA |

with the insurance of the guy who was responsible, they told my husband that all they were able to give him was $5000. according to them thats all they were able to cover for the guy who had hit my husbands car. The total estimate for the car to get fixed is around $9000, yet they still say that $5000 is all they are willing to give. is there anything we can do legally?

You are likely being lowballed. It is tough to know without knowing all of the facts. But, I highly encourage you to retain an experienced personal injury attorney in your jurisdiction. The insurance industry's own statistics - not mine or those of injury attorneys - confirm that unrepresented claimants receive far lower settlements than those who are represented. Here's more: [Blue Link Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

Consult an attorney ASAP to investigate the incident and protect your interests.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

This is hard to answer without all the facts. The amount of the offer may be based on their findings through like vehicles. They are probably offering you lower than your car is worth. I would contact a local personal injury lawyer to represent your interests. Good luck.

Randy Sevenish is licensed to practice law in the State of Indiana. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship. Please speak with a local attorney to discuss your potential legal issue.

It is possible that California has a $5,000 minimum property damage limit for their auto insurance policies. If that is the case, that means the insurance company cannot offer you anymore b/c that is all the policy allows for because that is what the individual purchased, and you will either need to sue the individual personally for the loss, take the $5,000 and pay the difference yourself, or check your auto insurance limits. If your limits are higher, and you have comprehensive and/or collision coverage, you may be able to make the claim to your insurance company to cover the cost of the vehicle. You may want to contact a CA property damage attorney to discuss your options.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action.

Its hard to tell without more info. Your own insurance may cover the rest of it if it is an underinsured situation.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

As one of the out of state attorneys has guessed, California insurance policies often have a $5,000 limit for property damage liability, so that might be all the insurance that other driver has. You might be able to collect more by telling the insurance company that you will sue him in small claims court if he does not contribute the difference out of his pocket. If he does not agree to that, go ahead and sue him - you can claim up to $10,000 in our small claims courts in CA.

Minimum bodily injury policy limits in California are $15,000 per person to a maximum of $30,000 per incident still talking about minimum policy limits - higher policies have higher limits) so maybe the carrier will be able to pay hubbie for his injury to make up the inference on property damage and at least get him closer to being made whole. Yes, property damage limits are typically lower than bodily injury limits, but don't believe the adjuster unless s/he sends you a copy if the "dec page" that declares the other side's policy limits. The other side typically will not do that unless they have their insured's permission, but if they decline, press on why not since (1) they're already claiming to let you know limits ($5k) so it makes sense to back it up. I also like counsel's small claims suggestion, but the limit of recovery is $10k so if he also suffered bodily injury and was treated, he will not be made whole because the $1k difference is not enough to cover the car, doctor bills plus pain and suffering. If your husband was injured, he really should hire a lawyer experienced in personal injury. If it's just the car that was injured, small claims is a good alternative. Lawyers are not permitted in small claims in California, but they can help prepare the complaint and give the plaintiff a strong sense of what to say and how to say it. I would charge about $500 to go over the facts if you brought a police report, then help prepare the complaint and give you guidance on presentation - abou two hours of time. Others may charge less or more. I'm sure you can find a California Avvo attorney to help whether or not you want to go the small claims route.

Sarkis Jacob Babachanian

Sarkis Jacob Babachanian

Make up the "difference," not "inference." Spell checker.

If that was the policy limit, go to small claims court.

Sounds like you might be getting the run around. Are you only pursuing property damage or was your husband injured?

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

California allows people to drive around with basic insurance... and most people are cool with that idea as it means low insurance premiums... that is until he or she is trying to collect for an accident... that's when one finds out that basic coverage means $5k in property damage or $15k for injury... a fender bender can easily cause more than $5k in property damage and a trip to the ER for a CT scan and some pain medication can run close to, if not over, $15k. When one is faced with the at fault driver (the other driver, hopefully) not having enough coverage, one should hope he or she was savvy enough to purchase UIM coverage… if not one may have to resort to suit against the driver for the difference or eat it.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
Corona, CA 92879
(951)520-9684
www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

If you are rear-ended in an automobile accident on the freeway, the other driver is liable for your damages and injuries. In some states, there is a sudden stop defense for vehicles coming to a sudden stop without adequate warning. I am not sure in your case whether the insurance company is alleging you are comparatively at fault for a sudden stop, hence reducing the payment by your percentage of fault, or whether this is the alleged policy limit of the defendant. In either event, call a lawyer who does automobile accidents to verify this and your options.