My husband got arrested for shoplifting and drug possession he is charged with 3 felonies , do i have to hire a lawyer?

Atlanta, GA |

It is the first time he was arrested for drug possession, he was arrested before twice for domestic violence.

Yes, absolutely. If he is charged with any criminal offense - especially a felony - he needs an attorney. Whether he gets a public defender or a private attorney. Is he still on probation? If you have any questions feel free to call me at 404-217-6978.

no he is not on probation not yet, he is still in Jail almost 48 hours he is going to court tomorrow or on Monday.

Charles Christopher Flinn

Charles Christopher Flinn

He should be going for his first appearance hearing. Depending on the charges, bond should be set. If bond is not set, you will probably need an attorney to request one.

I understand. Thank You!

Charles Christopher Flinn

Charles Christopher Flinn

Glad to help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

100% he needs a lawyer.

Without a shadow of a doubt. He is facing serious ramifications to his life, liberty, and permanent record. Feel free to give me a call at 678 – 522 – 9540 for a free permanent record.

Do you have to hire a lawyer? No. However, if you don't, he is very likely to get screwed by the system. Depending on exactly which drug and how much he had, as well as the amount he is accused of shoplifting, he could be facing very serious penalties. Besides that, having convictions for stealing or drug possession can really hurt your chances of getting a job or even being able to rent a place to live!
Please let me know if I can be of assistance. I would be happy to help.
Regards,
M. Jason Rhoades
jason@rhoadesandmiller.com

he tried to steal a t-shirt (58$) and that's how he got caught with drugs, he had around 50 pills of Valium, 20 pills of Xanax and only 1 methadone, its not prescribed to him, so I am wondering if he is going to get a bond or not? he is already 2 days in Jail

Michael Jason Rhoades

Michael Jason Rhoades

He will likely get a bond, but he will get one quicker and possibly lower if he has someone representing him. The shoplifting isn't nearly as big of a deal as all the pills he had. He could face some big time charges with those amounts on him.

you said he could face some big time charges for those amounts on him, like what charges?

Michael Jason Rhoades

Michael Jason Rhoades

Like Possession with the Intent to Distribute or Trafficking, depending on the weight of the substances. Please send any further correspondence to my email at: jason@rhoadesandmiller.com

Yes he need a lawyer.

Darrell B. Reynolds Attorney At Law

Do you HAVE to? No. You can sit back and hope that the same system that arrrested him, incarcerated him, and charged him with three felonies will suddenly become his best friend and defend his rights in court.

Or you can accept that there are people who want to lock him up and throw away the key.

People try to squeak through the system as cheaply as possible, but if a private attorney is able to resolve a criminal case just one year shorter than a public defender, what is that worth? Even at a minimum wage job, your freedom is worth at least $15,000 per year saved, and that's not including the benefit of sleeping in your own bed alone instead of a jail cell every night with a stranger.

Once you decide to hire a private attorney, you have to decide to hire the best one your can find or try to find a discount lawyer. I would suggest avoiding discount lawyers.

If you were going to jump out of an airplane, would you want an expensive, brand-name parachute or a discount parachute? Both may work. You may float down slowly and regret having spent the extra money for the expensive parachute. Or you may get to the ground quickly, wishing you hadn't been so cheap. Choose wisely. His freedom may depend on it.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

John Paul Thygerson

John Paul Thygerson

Sound advcice, indeed!

Would you give yourself a root canal? Would you perform an appendectomy on yourself? If your answer is yes to these questions, then you don't need a lawyer either. Lawyers go to school for many years to learn how to practice law, They then spend their entire careers improving upon their skills and knowledge of the law. This is not TV court, this is the real deal. Hire a lawyer.

Brandy Ann Peeples

Brandy Ann Peeples

I have to say that this is an excellent answer. I'm going to "borrow" this type of response the next time someone asks me if he/she needs a lawyer.

Allen Rust Knox

Allen Rust Knox

It's fascinating to me how many people will hire a tax preparer to do their taxes, yet when they get charged with major criminal offenses, wonder whether they can just handle it themselves. I just watched a young man plead guilty to a marijuana charge on Friday because he said he couldn't afford a lawyer. Now he is on probation and is paying a fine, doing community service and has lost his license to drive. If he had a lawyer, he would have known that the court has a diversion program that would have saved him from being convicted and saved his license.