My husband filed uncontested divorce abandonment. he lives in new york and i moved to las vegas. what shall i do? just sign it?

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Uncontested divorce

is he going to charge me for alimony? i don't know what to do?

we don't have a child and even a property. I don't have a job. do you know any lawyer with free consultation and knows about new york law?

You should have the papers immediately reviewed by a New York divorce attorney. You ordinarily have only 20 days to respond to the papers.

If I can help, please get in touch.

I concur that you should seek legal counsel in New York. If you left there to come here, and he remained, then New York would maintain jurisdiction over all issues -- including alimony -- as the State of last matrimonial domicile. If that seems confusing, see the explanation detailed in the article titled "The Basics of Family Law Jurisdiction," on the Published Works page of our firm web site, at

You should probably seek consultation with an appropriate family law specialist. I would suggest starting your search with the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, which can be viewed at Good luck.

Recommended articles about Divorce