Skip to main content

My husband filed for divorce first and I don't have 1,500 to retain a lawyer, are there any lawyers that would work with me?

Marietta, GA |

Married at 16 (1999) ..I left my husband in 2011. I have been a stay at home mom throughout our entire marriage, my husband was physically and mentally abusive in front of our children so I left him and went to a friends house for a couple of months, moved out on my own. This is after me filing a few police reports on him, I was told by the police to file against him but I thought it was in the best interest for my children not to do this to him. He filed a TPO and took my 2 boys.The judge that heard our TPO case was totally distracted while in session and he went on hear say and no hard facts at all.I have zero criminal record and have nothing against me but this family act of violence. I have many witnesses and reports against him. He and his family are known for their criminal history.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Check with your state bar and/or legal aid to see if you can obtain a possible pro bono (volunteer) lawyer referral.

    This is not legal advice. This response is provided for general information only, as a public service. It is not to be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship; nor is it an attempt to create an attorney/client relationship. Consult with local counsel in your jurisdiction about the specifics of your case, which is the only way to gain true meaningful legal guidance and/or representation.

  2. Consult your court clerk to see if there are any resources available - and if your spouse has all the money, the spouse may be required to pay for your attorney.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

  3. Go and meet with some in your area. Many will take payment plans and work with you on fees but, whatever you do, hire one.

    The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP EMAIL:, OFFICES: 53 W. Candler St., Winder, Ga. 30680, 106 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga. 30549, Or 718 Oak St. Gainesville, Georgia. PHONE: (770) 307-4899 or (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics