My Husband filed annulment against me stating I marry him for papers to hurt my citizenship and take my greencard away from me

I won green card lotto in 2009 & I never use it because of of marriage. My husband kicked me out without any of my possessions including important papers, jewelry money. He now states that i was using him for my Green card he filed a annulment against me stating that our marriage wasn't real!!! What can i do. My lawyer says now my citizenship will be a stake. I already have my permanent green card. How can i prove to the court i won a green card lottery but I lost that papers.is there anyway for me to get proof? My husband worked and never paid taxes and cheated the system. I was the only one in the family working busting my butt off. He has all my money and everything I ever worked for because I paid him every week all my money to save. Why does annulment costs me $5000?

New York, NY -

Anu Gupta

Anu Gupta

Immigration Attorney - Boston, MA

Hi there- you should consult with a family attorney to help you. Your ability to get citizenship will depend on whether you committed marriage fraud. Talk to an attorney who can review your case.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

In NY you can contest the grounds of a divorce/annulment as long as it is not based upon a no fault ground. Costs for an annulment or a divorce varies with the lawyer. If he is seeking an annulment you can answer and counterclaim for a divorce on no fault grounds. Consult with an experienced divorce lawyer to help you.

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Chicago, IL

This is a question for your divorce lawyer. Generally, the petitioner must prove the grounds for the divorce, rather than the defendant disprove them. If you feel you can do it without an attorney, you can save $5000. It is strongly recommended you use an attorney.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

You do need a very good and experienced matrimonial attorney to fight the grounds of annulment and marriage fraud. How much it will cost you, will depend on the lawyer you retain. Speak to several, but do not go for the cheapest, go for the one you feel comfortable with and who has experience.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
Charles Richard Conroy

Charles Richard Conroy

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

You can do a Freedom of Information Act Request to get a copy of any prior documents you filed. Keep in mind that you don't automatically lose your green card simply because your husband walks into USCIS and claims you committed marriage fraud. They need to investigate. You can consult with an immigration attorney to see how to protect yourself if there is an investigation. However, if conditions have not been removed from your green card, then immediately go see an immigration attorney. Their are options available to you.

David Ivan Bliven

David Ivan Bliven

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - White Plains, NY

You should be able to obtain the back paperwork from Immigration. As for the annulment, if there are any assets, you may be able to claim an equitable share of same. As for the price, attorneys fees vary - shop around & don't be afraid to retain an attorney from Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn as prices tend to be lower when the attorney's office is outside of Manhattan (due to lower overhead). Thus, schedule a consultation with a NYC Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.