My husband filed a complaint for divorce that was completely unexpected to me. He appointed his son as his POA to handle our

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

divorce. His son makes ALL the decisions. We had a prenup extremely damaging me. I am not allowed to speak to my husband even though we are in the same house. He has security 24/7, I am not allowed to come near by his room. He stays in his bedroom all the time, gets his meal deliver there, etc. His POA did not agree for any mediation or court appearance. His family want an expediated divorce. My husband refuses to speak with me as well. Can I request a meeting, madiation with my husband? II have many unanswered questions. Does the POA have the legal rights to make all the decissions? Please help.

1. Yolanda Navarrete

4

Answered . I have never heard of this. Why can't you go near him? It sounds like he is a sick man. You need an attorney regarding the divorce.

2. Jeffrey Alan Kerstetter

4

Answered . This is indeed a unique set of facts and a potentially disturbing one. I would first ask whether there may be competency issues with regard to your husband and this POA. Why did he need someone to act as POA? When was the POA entered? Who witnessed it? Does your husband have health issues either mental or physical? Do you feel safe in your own home? I would also ask about the terms of the prenup as well as inquiring as to how long you have been married and whether or not the terms of the prenup are now inequitable to the point where it should no longer be enforceable. You need an experienced matrimonial attorney, stat.

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

4

Answered . This is certinly not a typical set of feacts for a divorce. You cannot force him to tak to you if he does not want to. What do you mean he has security? Does he have his son and or third parties staying in the home with you? You need to be represented by an atorney. Consult a local divorce attorney ASAP. I would frankly be somewhat afraid of living with someone like him who seems mentally unstable based on these facts.