My husband earns a 6 figure income but won't file for divorce and I earn considerable less. How can I find a resonable cost atty

Asked over 2 years ago - Frederick, MD

My husband knows I can't afford to file divorce forms and won't help with spousal support while separated. With his six figure income he refuses to file for divorce even though he was unfaithful. He knows I can't afford an expensive divorce attorney and knows I need financial help for monthly expenses while separated. I'm searching for an attorney to help me file for divorce.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael Gene DeHaven

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . AVVO is a great resource to find an attorney, because you can find out if an attorney actually knows about divorces by looking at his/her profile & reading responses to questions like this. The bigger problem for you is defining the word "reasonable." Fortunately, you may ask for counsel fees and costs and Pendente Lite alimony to ease the financial costs that will occur. An experienced divorce attorney will be able to explain in greater detail. Feel free to call to discuss further.

    Michael G. DeHaven
    Smith, Gildea & Schmidt, LLC
    600 Washington Avenue
    Suite 200
    Towson, MD 21204
    (410) 821-0070

    Please be advised that this response does not constitute "legal advice," nor does it create an attorney-client... more
  2. Keith N Schiszik

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There is a free lawyer at the Courthouse - lower level - every Tuesday who can help you fill out the forms to "do it yourself". However, even she will advise you that this is probably one of the most important matters of your life and you should hire an attorney. (If you have only been married for a short while, your alimony will be minimal. If you have been married for over 10 years, alimony will be longer terms). Alimony and property rights are very complicated and require lots of knowledge of law and "business". You should rely on family, friends, your credit union or credit cards to get an attorney to properly advise you; if you spend $5,000 on a lawyer and get $2,000 per month in alimony (vs giving up and doing nothing), isn't it worth it???

  3. Diana M Schobel

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this. Your first step should be to schedule an appointment for an initial consultation with an attorney who can obtain more information about the facts of your case, your financial circumstances and any property that may be at issue. You also want to make sure you are comfortable with the attorney you are working with. This will not necessarily be free (many lawyers charge anywhere from a nominal fee to a few hundred dollars for an initial planning session), but you should come away from the meeting with a good idea as to your rights and options for your next step. In certain circumstances, the court can award attorneys fees, but there are many ways to resolve a case that does not involve protracted litigation. You may want to obtain a few names from people you know, or go on for a listing of attorneys.

  4. Robert Ricci

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Call your county bar association, but understand that the best lawyers are generally not "low cost".

    Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,377 answers this week

2,840 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,377 answers this week

2,840 attorneys answering