My husband earns a 6 figure income but won't file for divorce and I earn considerable less. How can I find a resonable cost atty

Frederick, MD |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony Credit

My husband knows I can't afford to file divorce forms and won't help with spousal support while separated. With his six figure income he refuses to file for divorce even though he was unfaithful. He knows I can't afford an expensive divorce attorney and knows I need financial help for monthly expenses while separated. I'm searching for an attorney to help me file for divorce.

Call your county bar association, but understand that the best lawyers are generally not "low cost".

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.

AVVO is a great resource to find an attorney, because you can find out if an attorney actually knows about divorces by looking at his/her profile & reading responses to questions like this. The bigger problem for you is defining the word "reasonable." Fortunately, you may ask for counsel fees and costs and Pendente Lite alimony to ease the financial costs that will occur. An experienced divorce attorney will be able to explain in greater detail. Feel free to call to discuss further.

Michael G. DeHaven
Smith, Gildea & Schmidt, LLC
600 Washington Avenue
Suite 200
Towson, MD 21204
(410) 821-0070

Please be advised that this response does not constitute "legal advice," nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel of an attorney before taking any actions or deciding not to take any actions.

There is a free lawyer at the Courthouse - lower level - every Tuesday who can help you fill out the forms to "do it yourself". However, even she will advise you that this is probably one of the most important matters of your life and you should hire an attorney. (If you have only been married for a short while, your alimony will be minimal. If you have been married for over 10 years, alimony will be longer terms). Alimony and property rights are very complicated and require lots of knowledge of law and "business". You should rely on family, friends, your credit union or credit cards to get an attorney to properly advise you; if you spend $5,000 on a lawyer and get $2,000 per month in alimony (vs giving up and doing nothing), isn't it worth it???

I am sorry that you are going through this. Your first step should be to schedule an appointment for an initial consultation with an attorney who can obtain more information about the facts of your case, your financial circumstances and any property that may be at issue. You also want to make sure you are comfortable with the attorney you are working with. This will not necessarily be free (many lawyers charge anywhere from a nominal fee to a few hundred dollars for an initial planning session), but you should come away from the meeting with a good idea as to your rights and options for your next step. In certain circumstances, the court can award attorneys fees, but there are many ways to resolve a case that does not involve protracted litigation. You may want to obtain a few names from people you know, or go on www.frederickbar.org for a listing of attorneys.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce