Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

My husband does not want a divorce until he can figure out how to hide his pro-folio. Is this legal. Do I have options?

We have been married 9 yrs. My husband told me not to work. His pro-folio is over one million. He is 61 and has moved his money from 401k to IRA. I discovered that he is meeting with his advisor to cash out the money and inquiring what to do with the cash. What should I do. We live in Texas

Sugar Land, TX -

Shawn H. Smith

Shawn H. Smith

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - San Antonio, TX

Your best option is to find an attorney and file for the divorce yourself. He does not need to agree to the timing, and the more opportunity you give him to hide his assets the more difficulty you will eventually have in uncovering them. Do not wait until he is ready!

Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Jacqueline R. Kriebel

You need to hire an attorney to discuss your rights. During the process of divorce, you can request what's called "discovery" and specifically ask for these records. He will be required to turn over the documents. With that amount of money at stake, I would speak to an attorney sooner rather than later.

Scheherazade B Rastegar-Djavahery

Scheherazade B Rastegar-Djavahery

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

I agree with counsel. Contact an experienced divorce attorney in your area as soon as possible. Good luck.

Related Advice