My husband does not have a driver's license # and my car insurance company is requiring his info for my plan. How do I respond?

Indianapolis, IN |

I just got married to my husband and purchased a new car. I now have 2 cars under my name. Told insurance company he would not be a driver of either. They responded it didn't matter, anyone living in my household is a liability. He is an illegal immigrant and we are just starting to look for our immigration lawyer. In the meantime, how do I handle my insurance company?

For now tell them he is not a licensed driver and has no intentions of becoming licensed in the near future.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Tell them exactly what counsel just advised you to say. Nothing will change the unavoidable fact of life that co-habitants living in the same dwelling under the same roof, are bound in certain, varied intangible ways, and this is just one, ie., car insurance.

To wit, this very day I had the great pleasure of sending my father proof of my motorcycle insurance. Why? Because even at 32 years of age, having never purchased a car for myself, and having sold the one I did buy years ago, he and the insurance company are correct regarding the respective liabilities presented by other co-habitants living with you.

MORE TO THE POINT, GET ON THE PHONE AND CALL FRAGOMEN OR THE LIKE (top immigration firms) as they will either turn you away with a small but painful dose of bad news, OR, they will take you on and counsel you through the motions of becoming naturalized, a process which does not or will not turn to auto insurance until much farther down the line, if and when your husband has got his papers in order.

Good luck!

Attention: This e-mail originates from the law firm of CARTER PEK, P.C. ("The Firm"). All information appearing herein is protected and regarded as confidential, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) indicated above. Be advised that if the reader of this message is not in fact the intended recipient, notice is hereby given that any dissemination, distribution and/or copying of this message is strictly prohibited and punishable by law. If you have received this message in error, kindly reply to sender forthwith, and destroy and purge any and all copies of such message, whether in paper, digital or other media format. If you are not an existing client of The Firm, do not construe anything in this message to cause you to become a client of The Firm, unless it contains a specific statement to that effect, and refrain from disclosing any sensitive information in which you have an expectation of privacy and/or confidence if sending a reply. contains a specific statement to that effect, and be careful not to disclose any sensitive information in reply that you expect to hold in confidence. If you are the intended recipient hereof and are a client, co-counsel or retained expert of The Firm, be mindful to maintain its contents in strict confidence in order to preserve any and all privileges, including the attorney-client and/or work product privileges that may apply. Thank you. IRC 230 Disclosure: In accordance with Internal Revenue Code 230, The Firm hereby advises you that, unless otherwise expressly stated, any reference made to or discussion of a federal tax issue contained in this message, or in any attachment(s) hereto, are neither intended nor permitted to be used for purposes of avoiding federal tax penalties.

Business topics