My husband does not have a driver's license # and my car insurance company is requiring his info for my plan. How do I respond?

Asked about 1 year ago - Indianapolis, IN

I just got married to my husband and purchased a new car. I now have 2 cars under my name. Told insurance company he would not be a driver of either. They responded it didn't matter, anyone living in my household is a liability. He is an illegal immigrant and we are just starting to look for our immigration lawyer. In the meantime, how do I handle my insurance company?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Matthew Adam Pek

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Tell them exactly what counsel just advised you to say. Nothing will change the unavoidable fact of life that co-habitants living in the same dwelling under the same roof, are bound in certain, varied intangible ways, and this is just one, ie., car insurance.

    To wit, this very day I had the great pleasure of sending my father proof of my motorcycle insurance. Why? Because even at 32 years of age, having never purchased a car for myself, and having sold the one I did buy years ago, he and the insurance company are correct regarding the respective liabilities presented by other co-habitants living with you.

    MORE TO THE POINT, GET ON THE PHONE AND CALL FRAGOMEN OR THE LIKE (top immigration firms) as they will either turn you away with a small but painful dose of bad news, OR, they will take you on and counsel you through the motions of becoming naturalized, a process which does not or will not turn to auto insurance until much farther down the line, if and when your husband has got his papers in order.

    Good luck!

    Attention: This e-mail originates from the law firm of CARTER PEK, P.C. ("The Firm"). All information appearing... more
  2. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . For now tell them he is not a licensed driver and has no intentions of becoming licensed in the near future.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,211 answers this week

2,221 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,211 answers this week

2,221 attorneys answering