My husband died without a will. Can I get the title to his car transferred in my name without going to court ?

Asked about 5 years ago - Dallas, TX

My husband died without a will. Can I get the title to his car transferred in my name without going to court ? The car was bought in Texas where we live. He has no children other than our 2 year daughter.

1. Robert Jeffrey Mueller

Answered . The contents of this answer is for educational purposes only and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Yes, assuming Dallas County (or Texas), download VTR-262 Affidavit of Heirship for Motor Vehicle here and follow instructions. All heirs must sign (if the vehicle was community then just you). Must be filed with changle of title at local assessors office.

http://www.txdot.gov/txdot_library/forms/tax_co...

Also beware that your home probably needs to be probated as well, along with other accounts not in JTWROS or beneficiary driven.

Good Luck!

Robert