My husband died last week. No will. We've been separated over 2 years but still married. We lived on a small farm (40 acres). I

Asked over 1 year ago - San Angelo, TX

left and moved to town when we separated. We still went to dinner every week and did things together. He bought the farm before we were married. There is a house, barns, pens, trucks, trailers, tractors, etc on the farm. Most of what is there, except the house, is community (we bought it while married). The house was added onto after we married, paid with both of our money. His two grown kids now say I have no right to any of the farm because it was his separate property. A friend told me I get a third of it and can live on it for the rest of my life. Is that true? How does that work? What do we do about all the community stuff on the farm now? His kids have been missing for years but they're trying to take control now and keep me out. I need help. Have no money.

1. Kelly Scott Davis

Pro

8

Best Answer

Answered . You were still married so you still have rights in the estate. So to do his kids. It doesn't sound like they will take your word for it, so I recommend you contact a probate attorney first thing Monday morning. It is a race to the courthouse to see who gets appointed as Administrator. Expect that they may not agree to your appointment and may try to make waves but it is important to be appointed. Don't worry about not having money. There appears to be enough in the estate to cover attorney fees and costs.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

7

Answered . This forum cannot provide what you really need-your own attorney to represent you during this tough time.
    You have spousal rights-so you need to be represented.

3. Michael S. Haber

Pro

7

Answered . Both Mr. Davis and Mr. Pippen give you good advice. As you might have guessed, neither your husband's two grown children nor your friend can substitute for advice of an attorney. And it seems clear that you need more than mere advice -- you need representation.

Whether your husband's kds were "missing for years" is no more relevant than that you and your husband had been separated for years. The determination as to who owns what will be made in accordance with your state's laws of intestacy.

There is one very important factor as to which your posting is not entirely clear: What does the deed say? If you and your husband owned the property jointly with right of survivorship, that would resolve the issue -- in your favor.

Find a local attorney. You can use the avvo site to find any of a number of very skilled lawyers in your local area. That you "have no money" may not be entirely relevant, because you clearly have, at the least, a substantial financial interest in the property and thus you may be able to find an attorney even without any significant upfront payment.

Good luck to you.

4. James Paul Sadler

2

Answered . Please consult with a local attorney in person or by phone regarding your questions. If offer free consultations so please feel free to contact me. 325.227-7699.