My husband bought me a new car last year, and we still owe another five years in car payments. (divorce)

Fresno, CA |

We are now seperated and have not filed for divorce yet. I can't afford the car payments and he doesn't want to help me. What should I do?

1. Are you legally separated? If you are still married then the court will not address the issue at all. Courts do not get involved in marital disputes.If you file for divorce it will be addressed in your divorce. Whose name is the car loan under. If it is your husband's name then he has the problem. At some point if no one makes the payments the car will be taken back. Your husband didn't really buy you are car if there are five years of car payments left on it.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

2. There are various options available to you in either obtaining financial help for you and or determining the disposition of your vehicle. I would suggest that you speak with an attorney who can obtain more information from you, and therefore, guide you in the right direction knowing more about your circumstances.
    I am a Fresno attorney and I offer a free consultation. If you choose, please contact me and I will more than happy to talk about your options in more detail.

The answer is based upon the limited information provided and does not create an attorney-client privileged relationship.

3. If you have no separation or dissolution filed, then you’re stuck with negotiating with your ex. Otherwise, you can ask the court for orders regarding support and debt payments. A consult with a local attorney is in order.

Best of luck to you.

Attorney Rebekah Ryan Main – visit us on the web at www.Main-Law.com or call 909-891-0906 to set up a consultation.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.

Vehicle title topics