Skip to main content

My husband assaulted me Im pressing charges, im pregnant and want a divorce can I get a retainer

Houston, TX |

my husband assaulted me and is being charged with state and my charges- assault family choke which is a third degree felony. Im 35 weeks pregnant and im not working ofcourse he is an engineer with a 10k monthly income and because he was released on bond I left my home im scared he will follow through with his threaths of to kill me. I moved away from my home in and came to stay with parents in I want a divorce not only because I fear for my babys life and mine but because of his infidelity, physical, mental and emotional abuse. I dont know who I married really I dont I found out through the DA that he has 2 previous assault charges and he is on steriods he is very violent and unpredictable. How hard would it be to put a retainer to get a divorce?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Use Avvo to find divorce attorneys in your town. In Florida, Attorneys can move for attorney's fees in Florida, and also temporary alimony. Consult the attorneys in your town you find on Avvo to see if here are similar rules in your State. | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.


See a family law attorney. Do not know why the DA did not ask for a protective order which is good , I believe, until the case is over.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


If you do not have access to sufficient community resources to hire an attorney, the court can award attorney's fees and, possibly, temporary spousal support, while the divorce is pending. In order to obtain these funds, however, you would need to ask for temporary orders which would include these forms of temporary support.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer