My husband and I would like to set up a non-profit research institute can we do that on our own or do we need a lawyer?

Asked 3 months ago - Sacramento, CA

We already have a research designation that we work through and fund ourselves but we have not filed paperwork to make it a non-profit. We have friends that just did that themselves in Illinois but we don't know about California. Ultimately we would leave part of our estate to this entity as a trust.

1. Samuel Watson Eastman

Pro

6

Answered . Based on your question, you definitely need to contact an attorney with experience working with non-profits, particularly in relation to any tax exemptions (501c3 or otherwise). I suggest that you contact an attorney with non-profit experience, particularly with respect to tax. I have linked a recent blog post below that I've written on the subject which should be helpful in understanding the general process and applicable.

2. Michael Charles Doland

4

Answered . Sure you can do it yourself. The issue is the efficiency of using an experienced attorney to get it right the first time. With unlimited time and patience I am sure you have the intelligence to do it yourself.

You are mixing apples and oranges however with you last sentence. In addition to an attorney who does not-for-profits, you need to speak to an estate planning attorney.

3. Scott W Brunner

4

1

Answered . While your intended designation as a nonprofit seems like it'd be a rather simple matter, that's not always the case, and your particular circumstances raise a few unique issues. You may be receiving grant money, for one; so how's that being monitored? Have you consulted the California corporations code as it relates to non-profits; do you know the organizational requirements? You're also devoting a lot of your own wealth into this, it seems--so who are your board members? What happens if the research non-profit changes hands at all? What happens when one spouse dies? Truthfully, your estate may be the more complicated aspect. I encourage you to seek out a business attorney that advises non-profits and handles estate planning on a fairly sophisticated level. They should be findable, as opposed to having to hire two attorneys.

4. Scott Gregory Nathan

2

Answered . Yours is a great question. As you can tell from the other lawyers, it would be best for you to work with a lawyer on this fine endevor. This is one area where you should also purchase and read a few books on the proper way to run a non-profit. You want to be familiar with the many intricacies and record keeping tasks involved. Good Luck.