My husband and I were married in France in August 2012. He is French and I am American. Fastest way he can come to US to live?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Richardson, TX

Do we need to remain in France (our residence at this time) and apply for his permanent residence (I-130) from France? Or is it possible for him to come to U.S. as a tourist and then apply to stay in the U.S.?

1. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . You may file for him from France and he can process through the Consulate there. Entering the U.S. on a tourist visa with the per-concieved intent of filing an Adjustment of Status application would be committing visa fraud, so I would advise against it. Consult with an immigration attorney for more guidance based on the specific details of your case. Good luck!

2. Elizabeth Diane Alvarez

Answered . There is more than one way for your husband to come here to live with you, but you of course can file there, and process his visa at the consulate. As my colleague stated already (I repeat because I want to make sure this part of the advice is heeded), I would strenuously advise you against filing for a tourist visa for your husband: it would amount to immigration fraud.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . You will need to petition him, and he will need to obtain an immigrant visa after the petition is approved in order to come to the US.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.