My husband and I were married in France in August 2012. He is French and I am American. Fastest way he can come to US to live?

Richardson, TX |

Do we need to remain in France (our residence at this time) and apply for his permanent residence (I-130) from France? Or is it possible for him to come to U.S. as a tourist and then apply to stay in the U.S.?

You may file for him from France and he can process through the Consulate there. Entering the U.S. on a tourist visa with the per-concieved intent of filing an Adjustment of Status application would be committing visa fraud, so I would advise against it. Consult with an immigration attorney for more guidance based on the specific details of your case. Good luck!

2. There is more than one way for your husband to come here to live with you, but you of course can file there, and process his visa at the consulate. As my colleague stated already (I repeat because I want to make sure this part of the advice is heeded), I would strenuously advise you against filing for a tourist visa for your husband: it would amount to immigration fraud.

Please remember this is not official legal advice, and this is no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. For a free 15 minute phone consultation please call 972-638-7207.

3. You will need to petition him, and he will need to obtain an immigrant visa after the petition is approved in order to come to the US.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Marriage and prenups topics