Skip to main content

My husband and I were married for just under 5 years when he passed away. Am I able to collect his social security and medicare

Casa Grande, AZ |
Filed under: Social security

I am self-employed and don't have enough to collect social security and medicare myself. I am almost 55 years old and have not remarried. If I don't marry until after I'm 60... can I apply for his social security and medicare when I'm 62?

I currently receive a pension from his job.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes. If you were married at the time of his death, you will be eligible for full benefits at your retirment age.

And - you are correct. If you remarry after age 60, it will not affect your benefits.

You can find more information here:

Additionally, if you are planning to collect your benefits before you reach your full retirment age, you can determine what percentage of the benefits you will lose depending on what age you begin collecting here:

Good Luck!

This answer contains general information only; and it is not intended as legal advice. It is not intended to and does not create an attorney client relationship. Information contained here is only a starting point and you should consider discussing your specific problem in depth with a licensed attorney.



Thank you so much!


If you become disabled, you may be leigible for benefits as a disabled widow between ages 55 and 60 - after age 60 as a widow on your late husband's account, age 62 for early retirment on your own account, or full retirment age on your own account at about 66 or 67.

Hope that information helps Good luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.



Thank you! It's great to know so I can better plan my retirement


My esteemed colleagues, as per their usual custom, has provided quality responses to your post, I trust that you will heed their wise words.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.



As I of course will!

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer