Skip to main content

My husband and I rent a property and I don't want to move but I don't want him here and I'd like to file for divorce. What do I

Yonkers, NY |

MY husband and I are currently renting a property and I nolonger want to co-habitate with him. And I would like to file for divorce. What should I do short of moving out?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Filing for divorce is relatively simple. Feel free to get in touch in the morning and we can go through what you'll need.


You obviously can ask him to leave, although he won't have to. In terms of filing for divorce, you can try and do it on your own by utilizing the NY Unified Court System's website, which has the forms, or hire an attorney.

Many attorneys (like me) offer free consultations. Feel free to get in touch to discuss your situation further.

THIS COMMENT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE and are provided for informational purposes only. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. All answers are based solely on New York law, unless otherwise specified.


You should consider consulting local counsel however if you move out, it is unlikely you will be able to move back in without causing an issue.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer