Skip to main content

My husband and I own a home in Riverside County , CA. We are listed as Joint Tenants on the Title. He wants to take himself

Riverside, CA |

off the title and add my stepson. So, that my stepson and I would be joint tenants. Can he do this without my signature or consent. What does it involve.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes and no. He certainly can transfer title to his son. However, unless you consented to the transaction by signing a new deed, the most he could do would be to make you tenants in common (not joint tenants) with his son. Still, if the property is community property, he could not affect your community interest -- which has its own title implications.

On down the line, should your husband pass and you own the property as tenants in common with his son or should you choose to dissolve your marriage, I see a legal nightmare of a battle between you.

I urge you and your husband to consult estate planning counsel. There are far better ways to accomplish estate planning objectives than the one you mention which will not give cause for an expensive legal battle in the future.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


I agree with my colleague. In order to properly answer your question, one would need to know the purpose for your husband's desire to transfer the property. As mentioned above, there are a variety of ways to transfer title to property that will help you avoid future costly legal battles and heartache.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer