My husband and I have our affirmative asylum interview in December 2012. Any tips on how to prepare and expect on the interview?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tacoma, WA

We are representing ourselves because our previous attorney was suspended and we cannot afford to hire an attorney. NWIRP reviewed our application but were unable to represent us since the application process had been completed but would help with COR.
1. Please advice if its okay to take our 4 year old along due to lack of a babysitter.
2. Any new changes with the interview process?
3. Any tips will be appreciated.

Thank you.

1. Lisa Ellen Seifert

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, and would add that you REALLY should NOT bring your 4 year old. You will be nervous, and your child will get nervous and therefore antsy... and then you will not be able to concentrate. Find a babysitter, and find a lawyer to help you prepare.

This is general advice, and does not constitute an attorney client relationship.
  2. Wendy Renee Whitt

3

Answered . Each asylum case is unique, and general tips and advice from a message board are not going to be worth much. You should try to hire an attorney, many offer payment plans and other programs to help serve clients like you. Even hiring an attorney to review the case and prepare you (but not travel to the appointment) may be of great value. Affirmative asylum is very difficult to get, good luck!

3. Irene Vaisman

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague. But just as a basic advice - make sure you know all of the facts and documents you submitted. Make sure you know your story really well. The questions will come from that.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  4. Nicklaus James Misiti

2

Answered . You really need an attorney, 87% of cases filed without an attorney are denied. If you really must do it yourself, do a good search for asylum but I'm afraid you are at a severe disadvantage without an attorney.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

5. Jamal Amirzade

Answered . There are some private attorneys who take on pro-bono cases (free of charge). Try to find an attorney who will take your case as pro-bono work.
    Spend a lot of time going over your application to make sure you have all the dates, names, locations and everything else correct. One inconsistency, regardless of how minor, could potentially derail your case. A large portion of asylum denials are based on inconsistent statements.
    Wish you good luck!

6. Danilo Jose Brack

1

Answered . I agree with Attorneys Whitt and Vaisman. Hire an attorney and know the facts disclosed in your forms and evidence.