My husband and I have been seperated for many years, he purchased a house but walk away from it and move out of state.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

Now they are coming after me, my name is no where on the house in fact I purchased my own house in 2010. I don't know what to do I have two kids to support and my own house note and I just recently filed chapther 13.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Adam J. Lysinski


    Contributor Level 9
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . General rule is that if you did not sign the note, the lender will not be able to collect any money from you. It is common for the lender to include the name of the spouse (even if the spouse is not on the deed) in the foreclosure suit, but that does not mean you will be responsible for any debt.

  2. Mara Ann Baltabols


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . There are a few issues that need to be considered that are not addressed in your question. First, did you sign the note representing the loan to your estranged husband's property? If not, they cannot come after you for the money. Second, if you are on the note, did you include that debt in your Chapter 13 bankruptcy? If you did (and if you didn't, talk to your bankruptcy attorney), that debt should be included in your Chapter 13 plan. Talk to your bankruptcy attorney further about the debt. Bring in the loan documents so that he or she can better evaluate your issue.

    The information in this answer is not intended as legal advice nor do I intend to create an attorney-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,352 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,352 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary