My husband and I have been separated for 7 years, he just had a child with another woman, would divorce be granted by default

Asked over 1 year ago - Cave Junction, OR

I left him about 7 years ago because of abuse, I also had no where else to live. I eventually made it out to Oregon. He's in Minnesota, he hasn't really tried to contact me much, but claims that I'm keeping the kids from him. I won't give him our address because he's threatened in the past to kidnap kids and kill me, but he has my email and has not contacted me. I recently found out he had a baby with another woman, would divorce be granted by default. I don't want anything from him, just full legal and physical custody and my maiden name back. I don't know what to do!

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

10

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this, many times you can do a divorce by publication if you don't know where your spouse resides or there may be a like kind rule in your state, but not really default. Chat with a local attny you will fee better. take care.

2. Jay Bodzin

2

Answered . A "default" is what happens when you file a petition for a divorce (or other lawsuit), have the opposing party served with the papers, and they fail to reply in time. Under the Oregon rules, that's 30 days - if he's served and he fails to file a response within 30 days, you can ask for a default judgment, and get every term you requested in the petition. If he does file a response, then you can't get a default; but you can still get divorced. You just have to determine what the terms will be. You can do this either by negotiating and agreeing, or by having a judge make a ruling at a trial.

Until you get a divorce judgment, you're still legally married, whatever else either of you may do. So you can't marry anyone else until that happens.

Oregon law permits no-fault divorces. This means that no one needs to demonstrate any specific facts to justify a divorce -- any married person can get divorced by stating to a court that the marriage has broken down. No other reason needs to be given. So he can't stop you getting divorced, just argue over the terms. These might include child custody, child support, and spousal support. If you've been living apart for 7 years, and you've had care of your children that whole time, then you're in no danger of losing custody of your children (absent some really extraordinary circumstances you've not described here). That also means that he should be paying you child support; a divorce judgment will grant you that. On the other hand, if you've lived independently all that time, an award of spousal support is unlikely too. You can read more about these laws here: http://www.northwestlawoffice.com/divorce.html

So there are a lot of issues to deal with. You should consult in private with an attorney in your area.

Please read the following notice:

3. Diane L Gruber

Pro

1

Answered . Check out my "legal guides" on my profile page of this website. They may provide you with some information that you can use. Also, consult with a divorce attorney in your area. This MAY be a complex divorce. Good luck.

4. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . If you know where he lives you must have him personally served with the divorce papers. This is not a default case. You must consult with a local divorce attorney who will explain the divorce process to you and give you an idea what to expect when it is over.