My husband and I are permanent residents. We want to bring my husband's cousin who is 12 to live with us. How we can do that?

Asked 7 months ago - West Jordan, UT

is there a high school exchange program she can qualify for - but i guess it may cost a lot. or can we adopt her in her country, and bring her on non-immigrant visa, and somehow change her status of visa?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

11

Answered . This is more complex than your question indicates. First, you must be a US citizen in order to confer benefits on an adoptive child. Second, she must be adopted before the age of 16. Finally, she needs to be in your legal and physical custody for 2 years before she can receive any immigration benefits through you and your husband. See below.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

3

Answered . Hire an immigration attorney. In essence, you have to legally adopt your relative and do that before the relative turns 16. Given the fact that adoption would require many steps including two years of residing with you, the time is running out on you.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

1

Answered . Need to adopt her first, in accordance of the child's adoption laws, by that time hopefully at least one of you will become a US citizen.